This is how it started… and the rest is history.
In 1891, Henry Ford became an engineer with the Edison Illuminating Company, and was promoted to Chief Engineer in 1893. (Thomas Edison was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production.)
In 1896, Henry Ford introduced his idea of a horseless carriage to Edison, who thought it was a promising idea and advised Ford to keep working on it. His encouragement led Ford to create a second prototype, leave the Edison company, and pursue his vision to build the world’s best automobiles.
Ford Motor Company wasn’t Henry Ford’s first car company. In fact, it was his third. His first, the Detroit Automobile Company was dissolved because Ford wasn’t happy with the low quality and high prices of the cars produced.
Shortly after, Henry Ford formed the eponymously named Henry Ford Company. Unhappy with the investors’ decision to bring in a consultant named Henry M. Leland, Henry Ford left the company after a few months, in early 1902.
After a year of refining his vehicles, Henry Ford founded the Ford Motor Company on June 16, 1903 and the first Ford, a Model A went for sale in Detroit a few months later.
... and the rest is history.
Henry Ford's Life and Legacy
Henry Ford’s life spanned an era of dramatic change from farm to factory, from the Civil War to World War II, from candlelight to electric light, and from horses to cars.
But Henry Ford didn’t just live through change, he provoked it. His revolutionary Model T was a pebble tossed into a still pond, whose ever-expanding ripples still wash around us today. Read more about the 150 Year Henry Ford Anniversary - click here.
His drive to learn, create and improve inspired his work and the work of Ford Motor Company for over 100 years
… Henry Ford succeeded in creating one of the world’s leading automotive brands and what, to this day, are the core values of Ford's business and product development.
Reading Henry Ford quotes is like assembling a puzzle. Each puzzle piece tells its own story and when put together they give us a clear picture of the foundation and the core values of the Ford Motor Company. Read more Henry Ford's quotes here.
- "Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- "If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself."
- "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- "A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business."
Henry Ford revolutionized the automotive industry by introducing warranties
The Road to Success
“In the Ford Motor Company we emphasize service equally with sales. It has always been our belief that a sale does not complete the transaction between us and the buyer, but establishes a new obligation on us to see that his car gives service.” -Henry Ford
Ford offers all Ford vehicle owners a best-in-class warranty package - not matched by anyone in the international Aid & Development sector! Read more here.
It takes vision, fortitude and genuine customer commitment to create a lasting impact and to remain successful. Henry Ford mastered all of these, which is why the entire Ford Family is celebrating the 150 Year Anniversary on the birth of this incredible man!
The message was, and still is, simple and clear:
"Buy it because it is a better car"!
Visit our Ford Showroom and take a virtual spin in the award winning All-New Ranger, the best value in its class Ford Everest, the most-sold car worldwide in 2012 – the Ford Focus, and the Ford Fiesta, which is also among the top ten vehicles sold worldwide.
You can make comparisons against the competition and see that with a ford you get best-in-class features, superior reliability, and cutting-edge technology all at the industry’s best price.
Now it’s 2013, and the Ford Motor Company still lives up to Henry Ford's statement from 1935: "A sale does not complete the transaction between us and the buyer, but establishes a new obligation on us to see that his car gives service". Together Ford and Kjaer & Kjaer offer an extensive After Sales network.
Read more about why our support network is superior. Please click here.
Henry Ford Trivia
There is plenty of interesting and fun Henry Ford-related trivia!
He is a sample of some of it:
- Did you know that Henry Ford built his own town deep in the Brazilian jungle - named Fordlandia. Please click here, (scroll down on page) to see pictures and a read a brief history.
- The very first Ford Model Ts were gravity-fed fuel. This means there was no fuel pump so when drivers needed to climb a steep hill, the fuel in the rear-mounted fuel tank would not flow to the engine, and the vehicle would run out of gas partway up the hill. Owners soon solved the fuel-delivery problem of the Tin Lizzie - by going backwards up hills! Read more about this story here.
- On visiting a friend, Henry Ford said "My Ford is being serviced, so I came in the next best thing." The car he turned up in was a Rolls-Royce.
- Abraham Lincoln was US president when Henry Ford was born.
Please click here to see more interesting facts and historic gems!